Average rush hour truck speeds were 38.6 MPH, down more than 11% from the previous year.
The American Transportation Research Institute (ATRI) released its annual list highlighting the most congested bottlenecks for trucks in America.
The 2022 Top Truck Bottleneck List measures the level of truck-involved congestion at over 300 locations on the national highway system.
The Top 10 bottlenecks include:
- #1 Fort Lee, NJ: I-95 at SR 4
- #2 Cincinnati, OH: I-71 at I-75
- #3 Houston, TX: I-45 at I-69/US 59
- #4 Atlanta, GA: I-285 at I-85 (North)
- #5 Atlanta, GA: I-20 at I-285 (West)
- #6 Chicago, IL: I-290 at I-90/I-94
- #7 Los Angeles, CA: SR 60 at SR 57
- #8 Dallas, TX: I-45 at I-30
- #9 San Bernardino, CA: I-10 at I-15
- #10 Chattanooga, TN: I-75 at I-24
In Pennsylvania, the top bottlenecks include:
- #26 Philadelphia, PA: I-76 at I-676
- #43 Philadelphia, PA: I-476 at I-95
- #46 Philadelphia, PA: I-76 at US 1
- #66 Philadelphia, PA: I-76 at I-476
The analysis, based on truck GPS data from over 1 million freight trucks uses several customized software applications and analysis methods, along with terabytes of data from trucking operations to produce a congestion impact ranking for each location.
ATRI’s truck GPS data is also used to support the U.S. DOT’s Freight Mobility Initiative.
“ATRI’s bottleneck list is a roadmap for federal and state administrators responsible for prioritizing infrastructure investments throughout the country. Every year, ATRI’s list highlights the dire needs for modernizing and improving our roads and bridges,” said American Trucking Associations President and CEO Chris Spear. “We have seen, most recently in Pittsburgh, that the cost of doing nothing could also cost lives. It’s time to fund these projects and get our supply chains moving again.”
For access to the full report, including detailed information on each of the 100 top congested locations, please visit ATRI’s website here. ATRI is also providing animations created with truck GPS data for select bottleneck locations, all available on the website.