DOT Number

How to get a DOT Number?

The USDOT Number serves as a unique identifier when collecting and monitoring a company’s safety information acquired during audits, compliance reviews, crash investigations, and inspections.

Who needs a DOT Number?

You are required to obtain a USDOT number if you have a vehicle that:

  • Is used to transport the types and quantities of hazardous materials requiring a safety permit in intrastate commerce (see 49 CFR 385.403).


  • Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or
  • Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
  • Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation;
How do we perform this service?
DOT Number Application

Obtaining a USDOT Number can be confusing and costly if you don’t know what you are doing. It can be detrimental to your business if you start hauling loads for your new company and find out in a few weeks that there is an issue with your DOT Number paperwork that puts you out of compliance.

What steps are we taking for you?

Our DOT Licensing Specialists will apply for your DOT Number for you, file all of the paperwork, and even help you choose a name for your company, if you haven’t already.

Our DOT Licensing Specialists will help you apply for your MC Number or Operating Authority at the same time as your DOT Number. At this point you should know if you need an MC Number. If you are starting a trucking company and hauling cargo, you need one.

Our DOT Licensing Specialists will help you with every aspect of starting a trucking company. All you need to do is choose a name for your trucking company.

Who does it apply to?

Companies that operate commercial vehicles transporting passengers or hauling cargo in interstate commerce must be registered with the FMCSA and must have a USDOT Number.

Also, commercial intrastate hazardous materials carriers who haul types and quantities requiring a safety permit must register for a USDOT Number.

DOT Numbers
States requiring Intrastate DOT Numbers

Apart from federal regulations, some states require their intrastate commercial motor vehicle registrants to obtain a USDOT Number.

These states include:

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New Jersey, New York, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

DOT Compliance and Licensing Services

If you are ready to get started or would just like more information on how you can start being more proactive with your compliance, please fill out the form below. We are here to help and answer any questions.