MC Number

Starting a new trucking company or motorcoach business?

If you are interested in starting a new trucking company to transport cargo or a motorcoach business to transport passengers, we will help through every necessary step in starting your trucking company

Who does it apply to?

In general, companies that do the following are required to have interstate operating authority (MC number) in addition to a DOT number:

  • Operating as for-hire carriers (for a fee or other compensation)
  • Transporting passengers, or arranging for their transport, in interstate commerce
  • Transporting federally regulated commodities or arranging for their transport, in interstate commerce
MC Number | DOT Licensing | CNS
How do we perform this service?
Starting your Company

There are several steps you need to take when starting your trucking company. We can take care of one step or everything from setting up your Employer Identification Number (EIN) to registering your DOT Number to handling your Fuel Taxes.

What steps are we taking for you?

If you are starting a trucking company, or any business for that matter, you need an Employer Identification Number (EIN), a unique nine-digit number assigned by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

Depending on how you plan to operate, you may need a DOT Number, MC Number, and/or PUC Number. 

BOC-3 filings are usually required before transportation companies can operate. A BOC-3 filing is a federal filing in the United States assigning a process agent to accept legal documents on behalf of your company.

IFTA stickers are required for carriers in qualifying jurisdictions and those operating vehicles over 26,000 pounds.

As a trucking company, you will have vehicles, and each vehicle needs to be properly titled and licensed. Our DOT Licensing Center can handle this with ease each time you add a truck to your fleet.

Truckers with a vehicle that has a taxable gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more, are required to electronically file HVUT Form 2290

2290 HVUT is a federal tax, but some states like New York, New Mexico, and Kentucky have a required Heavy Use Tax on the state level if you are using their roads.

DOT Compliance and Licensing Services

If you are ready to get started or would just like more information on how you can start being more proactive with your compliance, please fill out the form below. We are here to help and answer any questions.