Who needs to have a Texas DOT Number?
Motor carriers operating intrastate commercial motor vehicles on a road or highway in Texas must register their operations with the TxDMV’s Motor Carrier Division.
You must register as a motor carrier when you:
- Operate a vehicle (or combination of vehicles) with a gross weight, registered weight or gross-weight rating exceeding 26,000 pounds
- Transport hazardous materials in a quantity that requires placarding
- Operate a farm vehicle with a gross weight, registered weight or gross weight rating of 48,000 pounds or more
- Operate a vehicle designed to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver *
- Operate a commercial school bus
- Transport household goods for compensation, regardless of vehicle weight
Motor carrier registration (TxDMV Number) is available for seven calendar days, 90 days, one year or two years. A motor carrier certificate of registration is non-transferable between carriers registered as a sole proprietor.
Can CNS obtain a Texas DOT Number on my behalf?
Yes, CNS can obtain your Texas DOT Number. The first step to obtaining your Texas DOT Number is to obtain a USDOT Number. Use the below contact for to have one of our specialists start the process.